Boarding School. Indiana Friends (Quakers) decide to open a boarding school “for the guarded religious education of the children of Friends."
Farmhouse. Indiana Yearly Meeting purchases 320 acres from Zimri Cook. The farmhouse on the property was used until the late 1880s.
(Old) Earlham Hall. Named for the ancestral home of the Gurneys in England.
Observatory. The Observatory, the oldest building still standing, was the first college observatory in Indiana.
Lindley Hall. Named in memory of Samuel H. Lindley, Class of 1874, and Ella M. Lindley. It was built in 1887-1888 and was the campus’s main classroom and office building. It stood on the present-day site of Carpenter Hall.
Parry Hall. Parry Hall was part of the great campus building program of 1887 and was designed as the campus science building. The donor, Mordecai Parry (1818-1892), was a Richmond Quaker who later moved to Minneapolis. It was demolished in 1954. Barrett Hall now stands on the site.
Reid Field (Football). Named for Daniel G. Reid.
Bundy Hall. Made possible by a gift from Zenas and Rachel Bundy, Quakers from Carthage, Indiana. It was named in honor of their son Edwin S. Bundy (1876-1903), whose Earlham career was cut short by tuberculosis.
Carnegie Library. Earlham became one of the few colleges to receive a donation from Andrew Carnegie for a library. He offered $30,000, and the college raised an additional $30,000 to have "the most perfect library possible."
Laundry and Shop.
Comstock Field (Field Hockey). Named for Dean Clara Comstock, class of 1920.
Trueblood Indoor Fieldhouse. Named for Professor Edwin P. Trueblood, Class of 1985. The Trueblood Fieldhouse was incorporated into the renovated Athletics and Wellness Center in 1998-1999.
Lindley Hall fire, October 23, 1924. Discovered just after midnight on October 23, 1924, students and faculty rushed in to save many records from offices and specimens from the Joseph Moore Museum, but not the building itself. A Richmond firefighter, William Kinney, was killed by a collapsing wall. Investigation showed that the fire was intentionally set, but the arsonist was never identified.
Carpenter Hall. Named in honor of Walter and Susan Carpenter, who served as superintendent and matron in the 1850s and 1860s. It replaced Lindley Hall.
Goddard Auditorium. Goddard Auditorium was the last portion of Carpenter Hall to be completed, opening in 1929.
Women's Athletic Lodge. In 1916 the Women’s Athletic Association, later the Women’s Recreation Association, formed. It got its own building, funded by donations and from the proceeds of ticket sales from women’s field hockey games, in 1933.
Van Dyke Field (Baseball). Named for Professor George D. Van Dyke.
Hill Memorial Greenhouse. Named in memory of E. Gurney Hill.
Gluys Heating Plant. Named in memory of Marmaduke Gluys, Class of 1875.
Olvey-Andes Residence Hall. Named for the Olvey and Andis Family. The money for the dormitory was donated by Fannie (Olvey) Andis.
Jones House. Named for President Thomas E. Jones, Class of 1912, and his wife, Esther Balderston Jones.
Dennis Science Hall. Named for Professor David Worth Dennis, Class of 1873. He was the father of President William C. Dennis.
Stout Memorial Meeting House. Named in memory of John T. & Adaline McCarrell Stout.
Heating Plant demolished.
Laundry and Shop demolished.
Barrett Residence Hall. Named for Richard Warren Barrett, Class of 1897.
(New) Earlham Hall, aka EH. Old Earlham Hall's structural problems made repairs prohibitively expensive, so it was torn down and replaced with (New) Earlham Hall. EH is set a bit further back, but its facade is otherwise almost identical to the original building.
Teague Memorial Library and Study. Named in memory of Pearl Teague, Class of 1895. Professor D. Elton Trueblood's and his first and second wives, Pauline's and Virginia's, ashes are interred in the outer wall of the building (side facing the seminaries).
Lilly Library. Named in honor of Eli and J.K. Lilly.
Hoerner Residence Hall. Named in honor of Richard N. Hoerner, Class of 1920. Contrary to campus legend, the architects did not specialize in prison construction.
Tyler Hall. The 1907 Carnegie Library was remodeled in 1963 for Social Sciences and named for Leon and Minnie Tyler, Class of 1906. It now houses Admissions, Marketing, Financial Aid, and the Registrar's offices.
Hill Memorial Greenhouse demolished.
Runyan Center. Made possible by a gift from a Huntington, Indiana, Quaker, Bertha Howard Runyan.
Stanley Hall. Built to house the psychology, chemistry, and biology departments, opened in 1973. It is named for Wendell M. Stanley, class of 1926 and Nobel laureate in chemistry in 1946.
Jones House demolished.
Lilly Library addition. New wing added to the West side of the building. The new addition expanded the stacks and created a dedicated Archives space in the basement.
Warren Hall. Named after Clifton Warren, Class of 1927.
Wilson Hall. Named after Edward G. Wilson, Class of 1930, who was a long-time board chair.
Athletics and Wellness Center. Dedication was on October 9, 1999.
Landrum Bolling Center. Dedication. Named for past Earlham President Landrum Bolling. It replaced Tyler Hall as the Social Science Building. Tyler Hall was renovated and turned into an administrative office building.
Mills Hall. Dedication. The name of the residence hall honors the Mills family, who have longstanding connections to the college. Two members of the family were Earlham Presidents, Joseph John Mills and Eugene "Gene" S. Mills.
Darrell Beane Stadium. The stadium is used for field hockey, men's and women's lacrosse, and men's and women's track and field teams. It was also used for Football games.
Center for Visual and Performing Arts (CVPA). Dedication.
Randal M. Sadler Stadium (baseball). Dedication.
Center for Science and Technology (CST). Dedication.
Gene Hambrick Varsity Tennis Courts. Dedication, Homecoming 2023.
Evan Farber Recreational Tennis Courts. Dedication, Homecoming 2023.
Eleanor (Ellie) Bewley Softball Stadium. Dedication, Homecoming 2023.
Earlham College. Alumni Directory of Earlham College, 1847-1967. Boston: Spaulding-Moss, 1967.
Hamm, Thomas D. and Jenny C. Freed. Earlham College. Charleston: Arcadia, 2021.
Noyes Hall. Named for Nicholas Noyes, an executive at Eli Lilly.
Earlham College • 801 National Road West • Richmond, Indiana 47374-4095