Skip to Main Content
ESR & Bethany Resources
Science & Technology Commons
Friends Collection & College Archives
Facilities & Services
A Free, Cloud-Based Approach to Audio Transcription
Convert Your Audio File to a Different Format? -- media.io
- For example, among many others: convert AIFF, WAV, or WMA to MP3
Transcribe Your Audio File? -- oTranscribe
- Puts audio file and transcription in one window; no need to switch between windows
- Playback audio file at slower/faster speeds
- Hot keys to rewind and fast forward
- Option to input timestamps
- Continuous word count and timer to orient you while you transcribe
- Download transcription as .txt file and/or export to Google Drive
Format Your Transcription?
- Provide the full names of the interviewer and interviewee at the start of the transcript. If someone is unknown, identify them as such
- From that point onwards, name them by initials
- The transcription resembles a script format courtesy of Oral History in the Liberal Arts website:
- NB: Hello. Thank you for agreeing to meet with me.
- XC: You're welcome. I'm really happy to do so.
- If XC laughs/coughs/sneezes/makes a big gesture, indicate it in parentheses but ignore anytime they say "um":
- XC: This interview should be fun, but (laughs) I'm nervous and a bit under the weather (coughs).
- Example transcription available from Kenyon College via Oral History in the Liberal Arts website
Need Audio Recording Devices?
- AV equipment at Lilly Library -- includes links to audio recording device manuals
- If you're using a Zoom H4n, do the following before using it:
- Check the batteries AND/OR connect the H4n to a power source
- Format the SD card in the device:
- Select MENU button on right side of device
- Use scroll button on right side of device to scroll down to "SD CARD" on the menu
- When "SD CARD" is selected on the menu, **press** the scroll button to select "FORMAT"
- When asked, "Are Your Sure?" **press the scroll button to select "YES"
Earlham College • 801 National Road West • Richmond, Indiana 47374-4095