Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
A Free, Cloud-Based Approach to Audio Transcription
Convert Your Audio File to a Different Format? -- media.io
- For example, among many others: convert AIFF, WAV, or WMA to MP3
Transcribe Your Audio File? -- oTranscribe
- Puts audio file and transcription in one window; no need to switch between windows
- Playback audio file at slower/faster speeds
- Hot keys to rewind and fast forward
- Option to input timestamps
- Continuous word count and timer to orient you while you transcribe
- Download transcription as .txt file and/or export to Google Drive
Format Your Transcription?
- Provide the full names of the interviewer and interviewee at the start of the transcript. If someone is unknown, identify them as such
- From that point onwards, name them by initials
- The transcription resembles a script format courtesy of Oral History in the Liberal Arts website:
- NB: Hello. Thank you for agreeing to meet with me.
- XC: You're welcome. I'm really happy to do so.
- If XC laughs/coughs/sneezes/makes a big gesture, indicate it in parentheses but ignore anytime they say "um":
- XC: This interview should be fun, but (laughs) I'm nervous and a bit under the weather (coughs).
- Example transcription available from Kenyon College via Oral History in the Liberal Arts website
Need Audio Recording Devices?
- AV equipment at Lilly Library -- includes links to audio recording device manuals
- If you're using a Zoom H4n, do the following before using it:
- Check the batteries AND/OR connect the H4n to a power source
- Format the SD card in the device:
- Select MENU button on right side of device
- Use scroll button on right side of device to scroll down to "SD CARD" on the menu
- When "SD CARD" is selected on the menu, **press** the scroll button to select "FORMAT"
- When asked, "Are Your Sure?" **press the scroll button to select "YES"
Earlham College • 801 National Road West • Richmond, Indiana 47374-4095